Tuesday, 11 March 2014

NEW PATTERN: Arrow Churn Throw

Arrow Churn Throw
 


I have been recently thinking about how long it takes to make a single quilt. Mainly because of the the sheer amount of cutting and piecing. Now not all of us have wrists, fingers and arms that can wear the repetitive cutting involved with making a quilt bigger than a cot quilt.

As a result, most of my quilts are baby quilts or small projects. I was a little bummed out about the fact that throws and things bigger than 40" were out of my reach. So I thought, if I just make a single block massive, I can make a throw. 

I tried the concept of a single block as a quilt with the Swift Wreath wall hanging and decided that a single block, if done correctly, can look quite nice!



I came up with the Arrow Churn block as a combination of the traditional Churn Dash block and one of my favourite things at the moment - arrows. Then, Darcy from SewSlowSociety was kind enough to offer to test and review my little pattern.

You can see the review here, in which she says lots of lovely things that I assure you I didn't pay her to say.

If there is one thing about the quilting/instagram community that I love, it is the genuine kindness and support from others. Darcy read through the pattern, suggested changes with things that had gone completely unnoticed by me that were so perfect! I definitely owe the eye to detail in the pattern to her editing skills.

After seeing the quilt all together in Darcy's photos I automatically thought how perfect it would be as a quick and easy gift for the men in our lives. It's had to find a manly pattern. I just feel that with the right fabrics, your father will be sitting proudly on the lounge with this on his lap or your brother wouldn't be against keeping it draped on his lounge when the boys come over!

Again, I would like to thank Darcy for her beautiful photographs, sewing skills and editing prowess. You made the pattern writing process much swifter and easier. 

The pattern is now in my Craftsy store here.

Until next time!
Caroline

3 comments:

  1. gorgeous Caroline! I am plotting ways to use this as I type...! another inspired pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! I love them both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is lovely! I agree with the effort it takes to make a quilt. I think that may be why it takes me so very long to make one. LOL. Perhaps that is another reason pillow covers are so fantastic. ;)
    I want to use one block for a quilt...I am thinking of Swoon for a baby quilt.
    - Katelyn @ Sing While Crafting

    ReplyDelete