Wednesday, 28 May 2014

TUTORIAL: Tired of kneeling on the floor to baste a quilt? The Basting Board Technique.

A long time ago I said I would show people my basting board.....and how to use it.

As some of you may already know, I have a few physical limitations that make the normal basting on the floor method totally unrealistic and unachievable. As a result, I have started using this method. I don't have to kneel, crawl on the floor, reach across long distances or use tape, and I can sit on a comfy chair when I pin.

Firstly, this is the board:

The board is a big slab of MDF that you can grab from most hardware stores. Measure the size of the table you will be sitting it on when you use it and add 2 inches both top and bottom and each side (so 4 inches to each dimension). You want the board to stick out so you have something for the clips to grab on to without getting pushed off.


These are the clips you will need. The bigger the better ;-) You will need enough to distribute about every foot along the sides and for the top and bottom.


It is important to mark the midline along the length of the board (you can also do it to the other direction for smaller projects but it isn't necessary). The midline also needs to be marked on the edge so you can still see it if there is fabric draped across the surface and you can't see the line.

The following videos (while horribly embarrassing for me) will show you how to use the board. Please be kind, I didn't prepare a script or do any practice. Also, sorry I don't have a separate microphone so you'll have to put up with the camera microphone.















If you have any questions, need clarification on anything, just let me know. I'm happy to help :D

I hope this is helpful!
Caroline

11 comments:

  1. Great demo! I'm so glad you shared you this, as I too have a hard time basting quilts on the floor due to health issues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So that is how you do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing! I'm going to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a brilliant idea! I am definitely going to try this! My floor space is limited and my back kills me for days after crawling all over the floor basting a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea, thank you for making the video - it teaches so much better than reading about a technique alone does :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a great idea to do the middle first! I will give this a try next time. Love your video you did an awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant idea! I especially love the line down the middle! I was thinking of buying a ping pong table for this method because it's massive, but a table this size actually might be more manageable on the back. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! What is the thickness of the board?

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great tutorial, thanks for this! I also struggle with trying to baste a quilt on the floor / carpet. This method will really work for me - especially as my coffee table is just the length size for most of my quilts (which are about 5ft x 5ft). The videos are great, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Caroline,
    Thank you so much for this idea. I think I can use my big folding cutting table and just mark it permanently with a Sharpie marker. I have tried to use it before but everything slipping around. The use of the big clips is brilliant; I don't dare get down on my knees anymore so that I don't aggravate and old injury and have been limiting the size of my quilts for that reason. Your videos were very clear and no problems hearing your lovely accent with the camera microphone.

    ReplyDelete