Thursday, 3 July 2014

NEW PATTERN: Clockwork Quilt


I have been trying to keep quiet about my newest pattern for a few weeks. I have been difficult because firstly.....I miscalculated the required fabric and ended up having to scour the internet and instagram (IG) for yardage of V & Co.'s blue ombre from her first collection Simply Colour. Let's just say that if I didn't have amazing friends on instagram, I would never have even started this!


Luckily, I was able to contact Vanessa Christenson (the V from V & Co.), and she was able to direct me to Julie from Jaybird Quilts, who had juuuuuust enough! Instagram can be an amazing community sometimes....what am I saying! ALWAYS!


The quilt is meant to look a little like light shining off water, and I think the V & Co. fabric achieved that for me with the most ease. I didn't have to cut up three or four colour tones and all I had to do was sort it into roughly light, roughtly medium and darkest piles before setting out the blocks.


One thing I really like about this pattern though is that it looks WAY harder than it is. So if you're a beginner and you want to look fancy and show people a fancy-pants quilt that looks more advanced, this is for you! I also have detailed and illustrated step-by-step instructions that make you feel like a pro in minutes.


With the big blocks of colour, this pattern would look fabulous with FMQ on it. I am yet to feel I have the skills to in which I wont completely ruin a brand new quilt top with, so it is my usual simple quilting (but with a curvy feel).


For the backing I made a simple pieced backing from Dear Stella's Confetti Dots in navy and a panel of the V & CO. fabric that makes up the top. I felt I needed to show the smooth transition of the ombre where I had not chopped it up. It definitely feels calming to look at - as though the front is choppy and rough water and the back is a calm river.


I used another fabric from V and CO.'s SImply colour for the binding and it finishes the quilt perfectly, linking the lights and darks beautifully. I'm so happy I kept that in my stash and never used it before!


Here are a few progress photos that my instagram followers will have already seen, but I still think they complete the story.









The pattern is now available on my craftsy HERE and the quilt will be for sale in my etsy store HERE.

Until next time,
Caroline

3 comments:

  1. Another beautiful quilt! You've done a great job. I love your use of solids in all your quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this block, love the clever use of fabric to create a secondary interest point. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete