Monday, 25 August 2014

NEW PATTERN: Ziggurat Mini


 
No doubt, you have noticed the recent trend in the modern patchwork sphere towards miniature quilts especially with Kristi McDonough of Schnitzel + Boo and her amazingly popular mini quilt swap. Whether just as a quick and small project, a compact and personal gift to send to a friend in a swap or for a little picture on the wall.
Mini quilts are generally between 12" and 30", though to be honest, nobody's policing it!
This year, Art Gallery Fabrics released their first limited edition collections with vastly popular clothing and accessory designers of the blogosphere. The three designers chosen were without doubt, some of the most talented and original designers currently designing independently for those of us wanting to sew fashionable, functionable and flattering clothes. 
It was whilst looking through the April "Quilt Market" photos that I saw April Rhodes' collection "Arizona". With desert/earthly tones, cactus and clear midnight sky inspirations, I was IN LOVE.
 
I ordered a stack of each of the prints and the co-ordinating solids from Pink Castle Fabrics. I played around and with the prints, but found the palette that Rhodes had chosen was irresistible. I felt as though they needed an Aztec or South American themed pattern to truely show their versatility and range.
I focused on creating the Ziggurat - the square-ish stepped pyramids seen in both Mesopotamia and Central America with "gold" for the corners and the centre or the "heart". I included the cool green of the foliage that has hidden the pyramids for centuries and "eagles" in the far corners to symbolise the native people's strength, resiliance and intelligence in creating such structures in the middle of nowhere.

The full pattern kit (that means with the fabric!) is now available for pre-sale from Pink Castle Fabrics HERE for the totally reasonable price of $23.50 and the finished size is 18"x18" (I'm thinking of making one into a cushion cover for a friend!).

Until next time,
Caroline

3 comments:

  1. This is FANTASTIC! Love the palette and the design. You're very talented!

    Lovely to meet you last week as well. Hope you had a safe trip home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh. I'm dying. I pinned this quilt a while back think ohhhh how lovely is that. I wish I could design a print just like it! Only to find out, just minutes ago when I finally reopened the pin for a bit more investigation.. That YOU were inspired by ME!! I'm floored!! Honored beyond words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I simply cannot wait for your new line! Thank you so much for your kind words. It means so much, especially when the designer of the fabric line gives such great feedback. I'm more than happy to give you all the credit for all the time and effort that goes into designing all the elements of the fabric from the colour palette to the size of the print and narrowing it down from a million ideas that inspire you to only a few prints.
      If you hadn't done all that hard work, I wouldn't have been inspired to make this. In case you're wondering, I used the canyon wall print for the backing with a thin strip of the triangle tokens along one edge. I don't know why I didn't take a photo of the back (I'm distracted easily!).
      I'm glad you like it :-) I hope to be taken on another creative adventure with your next line.

      Delete